Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Busy busy little bee

Man, have I been busy this past week. I'm so tired from staying up late and waking up early to bake and decorate cakes and rushing around like crazy to get things done. Everything has been finished since Saturday, but I'm still recovering.

I had so many cakes to make. I had to make a cake for class, and a sample cake for a lady, a cake for my uncle's 50th birthday and a cake for my friend's husbands 34th birthday. I don't know if I waited too late to get started or just didn't realize the massive undertaking of the projects. My Aunt G wanted to specific cake. It was a chocolate 12x12 cube with chocolate filling in the center and four layers. That cake was huge and heavy! Then we thought it would be neat to cut the cake into 4x4 pieces and make 9 cubes. How crazy was I to think that would be easy? I had to cover each cake with chocolate buttercream and then lime green fondant. Try doing that 9 times! No regrets because it was a big hit! My parents took it all the way to Virginia for the party. My aunt said that my uncle actually wore his lime green shirt without having ever seen the cake. You know everyone picked on him for matching the cake. The cube has something to do with an architecture lesson that I guess just about every architect has to learn and that my uncle has taught to his students. We realized later that the 9 cubes also had a special meaning because there are 9 siblings. But can you imagine this huge lime green cake with 50 blazing candles on it? I'm waiting for pictures so I can see how it looked.

I finished my uncle's cake at 1am Saturday morning. Then I had to do a specialty cake for a good friend's 34th birthday party at 4pm on Saturday. Talk about trying not to stress out! Thankfully I had already baked the cake, but then I decided that it needed one more layer that morning so I had to bake a whole other cake before breakfast! Thankfully, I had other things to do and get ready while I waited for the cake to bake and cool. This cake came out really awesome. It was a dark blue poker chip with the #34 in the center and and the suits (heart/spade/club/diamond) going around in a circle. It was covered in bark blue fondant and the numbers and suits were made out of white chocolate. I'm surprised that I finished it with time to spare. Everyone loved how the cake turned ou.t And you know I passed out business cards. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera at home (kicking myself), so I'm waiting for pictures to be sent to me.

I'm happy how things turned out this past week. I had fun and made a little bit of money at the same time. Is baking my future? I don't know, but I'm having fun while I'm at it.

I've been so busy that it's been about a week since I did any exercise. So today I went for a walk around the neighborhood the really long way. I try to walk/jog every street that I come to. We have a lot of cul-de-sacs and I make sure i go in those too. I often see early in the morning (before I'm even thinking about going for a walk) this skinny-minnie jogging. Now good for her, but here's my problem with her: she's running down hill! Our neighborhood is extremely hilly. If you turn right out of my driveway, you'll climb up the steep hills and go down some slopes. If you turn left, then you are going down the big hills and climbing some little slopes. I always turn right even though I'm not in the best of shape, but it makes sense to me to go that way to get the most challenge. And every day there goes skinny-minnie jogging down the big hills. Doesn't make sense to me. I'll just keep dragging myself up the big hills until one day I can run up them and run past her as she jogs down the hill!

That first week that I did stick to exercising I could feel a difference in my clothes and my "baby belly." But it's hard for me to stick with it. After one week I'm not a size 8 yet?! I've gotta work on patience, you think? Can't I have instant gratification and be fine after one week? No? Not fair.

No comments: